In his Sunday article for the Boston Herald, Nick Carfado explored the possible future moves of the Boston Red Sox. Carfado notes that the Red Sox must not only be concerned about the usual suspects, the Rays and Yankees, but now also the Blue Jays and a surging American League West, which includes the Rangers and Angels. Carfado said the Red Sox could go in several different directions as they look to improve their roster, but, one way or another, it doesn’t appear that Boston’s completed their winter shopping.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington was able to acquire late-inning reliever Mark Melancon last week. Covering all of his bases, Cherington said after the trade that the Red Sox would be “comfortable” entering 2012 with Melancon as their closer, but also told reporters that the team is “always looking to upgrade anyplace on the field”.
Carfado reads this as follows. If the Red Sox can’t bring in another late-inning reliever, such as A’s closer Andrew Bailey or former Phillies finisher Ryan Madson, they can move forward with Melancon as their 9th inning guy.
Beyond their bullpen, Carfado notes that the Red Sox are still seeking rotation and offensive upgrades. Boston has checked in on the reportedly disgruntled Hanley Ramirez, though talks between the Marlins and Red Sox didn’t appear to get very far.
The Red Sox also continue to monitor the starting pitching market. Carfado indicates that Cherington “has been in on lower-cost starting pitchers” such as Gio Gonzalez of the A’s, Braves right-hander Jair Jurrjens and John Danks and Gavin Floyd of the White Sox. Cherington has also shown interest in non-tendered starter Joe Saunders.
Though they don’t appear to be a fit for a top outfield bat like Carlos Beltran, Carfado says the Red Sox could look to fill their right field void with a cheaper alternative such as Cody Ross or Ryan Ludwick.
For more on the Red Sox, be sure to check out BoSox Injection.