We may be nearing the end of the Theo Epstein compensation ordeal. The situation has now been handed off to Major League Baseball’s commissioner Bud Selig who says he would like to sort out the compensation that will go from the Chicago Cubs to the Boston Red Sox “as expeditiously as possible”.
Here’s a quick refresher on what’s taken place so far. While searching for their new front office staff, the Cubs agreed to send the Red Sox significant return if Theo Epstein could bail on the final year of his contract to become Chicago’s president of baseball operations. Boston agreed and let Epstein resign in order to join the Cubs and he did.
Since then names have been mentioned and talks have reportedly commenced between the Red Sox and Cubs, but no agreement has been reached. At this point it’s up to the powers that be, or Major League Baseball, to determine the compensation.
Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune reported yesterday that the Cubs and Red Sox have submitted lists to Selig that are rumored to include the names of several players. While attending the Chicago White Sox SoxFest Friday evening, Selig told van Dyck that he’d like to get the situation resolved as soon as possible.
Still, no timetable has been set, and at the pace that this situation has been moving, it’s hard to tell when “as expeditiously as possible” will be.
For what it’s worth, Nick Carfado of the Boston Globe heard from one American League general manager who believes Selig will award the Red Sox with “a significant player”. The unnamed GM said he thinks Major League Baseball will try to use this case to “deter teams from doing” something like this again.