Welcome to the FIRST episode of the Call to the Pen flagship podcast! New episodes Monday and Wednesday.
In today’s episode, host and Call to the Pen contributor Jonathan Platek breaks down the scores from Sunday’s MLB action, and gives you the latest on theMelky Cabrera
trades, as well as more from the MLB trade deadline, and a special segment on the struggles ofAaron Judge
Here’s what is going on in today’s episode:
- 0:00—8:30: Intro and Scoreboard
- 8:31—13:15: Breaking down Melky Cabrera trade for White Sox and Royals. Will AJ Puckett and Andre Davis amount to anything? How big of an addition is Melky’s offense to the surging Royals?
- 13:16—23:00: Tanking and rebuilding in MLB, has Rick Hahn changed the blueprint? Excactly how close are the White Sox to contending with their war chest of prospects? Is a two-year rebuild feasible, much less plausible?
- 23:01—27:25: Breaking down the Cubs’ trade for Justin Wilson and Alex Avila from Bobby Mueller. Should the Cubs have targeted relief or starting pitching with what prospects they had left? How does Wilson fit into the bullpen picture as used by Joe Maddon?
- Read Bobby’s piece in full, HERE.
- 27:26—40:02: Are the Cubs primed to contend for another World Series? Not only have the Cubs acquired controlled starting pitching in the form of Jose Quintana, they now have ace-potential in their first two rotation spots, and three relievers who excel in high leverage situations. Could Theo Epstein have done any better?
- 40:10—42:30: Breaking down the trade bringing Jonathan Lucroy to the Rockies.
- Read Jason Evans’ piece in full, HERE.
- 42:31—End: Judge’s Chambers, Aaron Judge struggles, and close. Aaron Judge has struggled mightily since the All-Star Break. While it has only been 16 games, is there legitimate suspicion to be had that Aaron Judge isn’t all he’s cracked up to be?