Do the New York Mets need to acquire another outfielder in order to be competitive in 2020? Could Mookie Betts or Starling Marte be a reasonable option?
The New York Mets seem to have been in the news constantly as of late due to the situation surrounding Carlos Beltran and the introduction of their new manager, Luis Rojas. Could they make another splash in the media before pitchers and catcher report?
Earlier in the week, the Mets were once again connected to trade rumors surrounding Starling Marte. Mookie Betts is another name that continues to swirl around the baseball world. Should the Mets make a move to acquire an outfielder?
More from MLB Rumors
- MLB rumors: Which general manager jobs could be in jeopardy in 2023?
- MLB rumors: Toronto Blue Jays, San Diego Padres, New York Mets
- MLB rumors: San Diego Padres and New York Mets already thinking 2024 and beyond?
- MLB rumors tracker: The latest rumors on MLB trade deadline day (August 1)
- MLB rumors: Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers
From the outset of the off-season, this seemed like a forgone conclusion but the team has yet to pull the trigger on a trade other than their deal for Jake Marisnick. We are left to wonder why the New York Mets have not made a move to plug their glaring hole in center field, but lately, I have started to believe that holding steady might be the correct decision. Brodie Van Wagenen seems to share the same opinion.
During his media availability on Friday, Van Wagenen stated…
"“At this point, we feel very confident in the group we have. We’re excited about the guys that we have invited to camp. We’re excited about the returning players that we’ll have back on the roster, and we think we’ve added some key pieces from the outside that will help us this year.”"
He also stated that he does not want to disrupt what they already have (via MetsBlog).