Kansas City Royals: What’s on their 2022 post-lockout to-do list

DETROIT, MI - APRIL 04: A detailed view of a Kansas City Royals equipment bag prior to the Opening Day game between the Detroit Tigers and the Kansas City Royals at Comerica Park on April 4, 2019 in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Royals 5-4. (Photo by Mark Cunningham/MLB Photos via Getty Images)
DETROIT, MI - APRIL 04: A detailed view of a Kansas City Royals equipment bag prior to the Opening Day game between the Detroit Tigers and the Kansas City Royals at Comerica Park on April 4, 2019 in Detroit, Michigan. The Tigers defeated the Royals 5-4. (Photo by Mark Cunningham/MLB Photos via Getty Images) /
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
5 of 5
Next
(Photo by David Berding/Getty Images)
(Photo by David Berding/Getty Images) /

The Kansas City Royals should sign relief pitcher Alex Colome

Speaking of pitchers coming off of down seasons who can be had for cheap, the Royals should take a look at free agent reliever Alex Colome.

Colome, 32, spent 2021 with the Minnesota Twins. The former All Star and AL saves leader is primarily a two-pitch pitcher, relying heavily on both a cutter and a four seam fastball. The cut fastball that Colome throws is his top pitch, thrown about 70% of the time in 2021 with the remaining 30% going to his four-seamer.  While the velocity on his cutter has dipped over the years, it still moves well but last season hitters seemed to be picking up on the offering a bit more.

Across 67 games last season, Alex Colome had a 4.15 ERA, earning 17 saves while striking out 58 over 65 innings. His hard hit-percentage, barrel-percentage and exit velocity against were all up, leading one to believe that his decent results were mixed with a bit of luck.

Next. Royals hoping to find taker for Carlos Santana. dark

A known work-horse who is good for 60+ appearances and brings closing experience to the table, Alex Colome could be a decent bargain-bin addition for the Royals. With Scott Blewett and Josh Staumont both capable of closing games as well, Colome could share time as setup man and closer with them.