MLB Rumors: Are teams making a statement by not signing Scott Boras' clients?

Top players remain unsigned and there is no movement with teams and players such as Cody Bellinger, Matt Chapman , Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery. With MLB spring training starting yesterday, the window is closing for these players to get to camp.

Super Agent Scott Boras, far right, is getting some payback for his high demands on top free agents this winter. He is pictured here on the far right as the San Francisco Giants Introduce Jung Hoo Lee.
Super Agent Scott Boras, far right, is getting some payback for his high demands on top free agents this winter. He is pictured here on the far right as the San Francisco Giants Introduce Jung Hoo Lee. / Andy Kuno/San Francisco Giants/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit
Prev
4 of 4
Next

Jordan Montgomery, starting pitcher

Montgomery, formerly of the Texas Rangers, is 31 years old and is a free agent. He won a World Series last season with the Rangers and made 32 appearances between Texas and St. Louis. Monty was not extended a qualifying offer by the Rangers because he was obtained from the Cardinals midseason. Therefore, teams would lose nothing by signing Montgomery, but will be compelled to pay him a handsome ransom as part of the "Boras Four". Due to the uncertainty surrounding the Rangers' new TV deal -- or simply because of their internal valuation -- the reigning World Champs all but officially moved on from Montgomery last week. They were his presumed landing spot for the vast majority of the offseason, but now the fit feels extremely unlikely.

There have been rumors that the Red Sox were going to make an offer to Montgomery, which bubbled up again as late as Monday night. However, nothing has surfaced as of yet. Boston has been long connected to Montgomery, but would need him to fall into the price range they've assigned to him. Craig Breslow is working under budgetary restrictions.

Tuesday night, the Minnesota Twins threw in the towel and said that they would not be getting into a bidding war for any of the "Boras Four" as they have been dubbed. Twins CEO Joe Pohlad said that they are not in the market for a $30 million a year player. There was some thought that the Twins would be a good landing spot for Snell, but that has since been quashed as of late Tuesday night.

Pohlad pointed to Tampa Bay Rays and the Baltimore Orioles as two teams that have had some success without high payrolls, and that is the modicum that the Twins are going to follow.