So far this award season, we’ve had a few players run away with the vote. But, before AL Pitcher of the Year, we didn’t have a unanimous first place finisher. Justin Verlander and his ridiculous 2011 campaign changed that. All writers casting votes believed that Verlander was the best pitcher in the American League, earning him 231 of a possible 231 votes and making him FanSided’s 2011 AL Pitcher of the Year.
Like his National League counterpart Clayton Kershaw, Verlander dominated his league and earned the AL pitching Triple Crown. But Verlander outperformed even Kershaw, finishing a few earned runs away from the Major League pitching Triple Crown.
The flamethrower finished the year four wins and two strikeouts ahead of Kershaw, while being the only pitcher to surpass 250 innings. Verlander led the Majors in WHIP (0.92) and quality starts (28). These impressive numbers have some calling the 28-year-old the most valuable player in the American League.
Weaver and teammate Dan Haren combined to form a nasty one-two punch atop the Angels rotation. Getting off to one of the best starts in baseball, Weaver maintained an ERA of 0.99 through April. The 29-year-old finished the season second only to Verlander in earned run average (2.41) and WHIP (1.01) while compiling a record of 18-8.
Here’s a complete list of AL pitchers receiving votes and their totals.
The way the voting is tallied is as follows: first place votes – 7 points, second place votes – 4 points, third place votes – 3 points, fourth place votes – 2 points, fifth place votes – 1 point.
1. Justin Verlander – Detroit Tigers (231)
2. Jered Weaver – LA Angels (100)
3. C.C. Sabathia – New York Yankees (77)
4. James Shields – Tampa Bay Rays (64)
5. Dan Haren – LA Angels (28)
6. C.J. Wilson – Texas Rangers (22)
7. Doug Fister – Detroit Tigers (9)
8. Josh Beckett – Boston Red Sox (8)
9. Felix Hernandez – Seattle Mariners (7)
10. Jose Valverde – Detroit Tigers (3)
11. Gio Gonzalez – Oakland A’s (2)
12. Brandon McCarthy – Oakland A’s (2)
13. Glen Perkins – Minnesota Twins (2)
14. David Price – Tampa Bay Rays (2)
15. Jeremy Hellickson – Tampa Bay Rays (1)
16. Derek Holland – Texas Rangers (1)
17. Justin Masterson – Cleveland Indians (1)
18. David Robertson – New York Yankees (1)
Other end of the year voting:
Tags: Brandon McCarthy C.C. Sabathia C.J. Wilson Clayton Kershaw Dan Haren David Price David Robertson Derek Holland Doug Fister Felix Hernandez Gio Gonzalez Glen Perkins James Shields Jered Weaver Jeremy Hellickson Jose Valverde Josh Beckett Justin Masterson Justin Verlander